Some of our popular activity groups inlcude:
- ADVENTURES IN LONDON & BEYOND: Excursions include London tours of museums, gardens and historical sites; day trips to picturesque sites throughout England; and occasional overnight trips to places like Paris, Giverny and Versailles.
- AFTERNOON TEA: Enjoy this quintessentially English tradition among friends at unique or historic restaurants in the London area. Join us for tea, scones and a touch of total civility!
- BOOK GROUPS (Daytime & Evening): We have two informal groups, each reading a different book each month. Choose based on your schedule (daytime or evening) or choice of book! Monthly picks range from classics to contemporary.
- BUMPS TO JUMPS (MOM SQUAD): This friendly group provides support and discussion for expectant mothers (bumps), as well as moms with new babies or toddlers (jumps). It's a great way to share ideas and socialize, whether virtually or in person.
- BUY LOW, SELL HIGH: Learn and explore the basics of the U.S. stock markets (NYSE & NASDAQ). Expand your knowledge on investments, discuss trends and strategies, and broaden your portfolios.
- CLASSICAL MUSIC GROUP: Whether it’s getting a grip on Handel or going for Baroque, listening to student recitals at the Royal Academies, or savoring strings in a historic church, we explore the numerous musical opportunities London has to offer.
- CONTEMPORARY ART & DESIGN: London has an incredibly rich and diverse array of contemporary art and design exhibits and galleries, as well as knowledgeable people to guide us in our art journeys. Let's explore and learn together!
- CRAFT & CHAT: Weekly meetings provide a friendly forum for lovers of all kinds of needlework (including but not limited to knitting, needlepoint, quilting and cross-stitching). All skill levels are welcome, and any and all crafting!
- CURIOSITY SHOPPERS: For those who want to take advantage of the wonderful shopping experiences around London, beyond the usual high street shops!
- DRINKS, ETC: Join this fun monthly social event held on Friday or Saturday evenings and introduce your spouse or partner to your London friends. Bring a beverage and snack to share at different AWC members’ homes.
- EMPTY NESTERS: Kids off to college? Or have you been there, done that? Join us for coffee, lunch and other get-togethers to share your experiences, have a good laugh and meet new people. Everyone is welcome.
- FOREVER 29: Whether you're one of our younger members or simply young at heart, Forever 29 provides pub meetups, weekend excursions and fun nights out on the town.
- HIKING: Experience the English countryside on foot. Hikes range from 7 to 12 miles in length; difficulty ranges from 1 (easy) to 10 (difficult). Benefits include making new friends and enjoying a pub lunch. There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!
- LET’S DO LUNCH: A fun opportunity to try different eating establishments in and around Central London. We incorporate different themes Like Chinese New Year in Chinatown, Cinco de Mayo at a Mexican restaurant, and al fresco dining (weather permitting).
- LONDON WALKS: Join us for sightseeing experiences in and around London, usually with a Blue Badge guide. These walks are a wonderful way to learn more about the city’s fascinating history, as well as its modern landmarks and innovative culture.
- LONG-TERM LADIES: Are you permanently or semi-permanently in London? If you're here long-term (you can define that yourself!) and would like to meet for coffee, drinks, lunch or dinner with others, this is the group for you.
- MAHJONG: This ancient Chinese game played with tiles has gained popularity around the world, Mahjong exercises your brain and is a great backdrop for building friendships with other members. Don’t know how to play? Come to one of our monthly teaching days.
- MONDAY MORNING COFFEE (MMC): Over the years, the MMC group has traveled London in search of the perfect cup of Joe! Along the way we have shared stories and laughs. Why not join us and get your Monday morning started right? Tea drinkers welcome, too.
- PODCAST CLUB: Listen to popular podcasts and then come together to discuss them. This low-key group meets to enjoy each other's company and examine various topics. Discussions range from one single podcast episode to several podcasts about one topic.
- PROFESSIONAL WOMEN’S GROUP (PWG):
Socialize and network with other members over after-work drinks or
online meetups. Programs include speakers, workshops and informal
gatherings. Full-time, part-time, self-employed, retired workers all
- PUB QUIZ: Our fabulous quizmaster creates special quizzes just for the AWC, so no need to study up on premier league soccer or 1000 years of British history. Win or lose, you are guaranteed to have fun! Partners welcome at this popular Saturday night event.
- RONALD McDONALD HOUSE: Help prepare a meal for the guests of the Ronald McDonald House once a month. These families of seriously ill children being treated at the nearby hospital truly appreciate the caring touch that these home cooked meals provide.
- SOUP KITCHEN: AWC volunteers help prep and serve food to the homeless at the Soup Kitchen at the American International Church. They also help out in the Clothes Closet, distributing donated clothing and toiletries.
- THEATRE: The London stage is world-renowned with a variety of shows featured daily. Join us for a fun afternoon that includes lunch at a restaurant near Leicester Square followed by a matinee at a nearby theatre.
- THURSDAY PUB: Meet friends — new and old! Here’s a good way to find out what’s going on, ask questions of your neighbors, etc. When you arrive you can order whatever you’d like to eat or drink from the bar and join our group.
- TRAVEL GROUP: These trips are organized throughout the year to various European and worldwide destinations. No planning involved; just sign up!
- WINE & DINE:
you interested in food and wine? Join our adventures in and around London, where we explore different cuisines, wines, and spirits. Partners are welcome!
If one of these activities interests you, be sure to tick it on your Member Profile to automatically receive alerts from the group's Activity Leader. Also, check the calendar for upcoming events!
Note to Activity Leaders
Please locate the relevant activity form here, complete, and send to email@example.com
Alternatively, to receive a copy of the correct form via email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The health and safety of our members is of paramount importance, so although the situation on England is returning to "normal, " COVID-19 remains a concern for many. Masks are no longer required for indoor or group activities, but if you feel more comfortable wearing one, please feel free to do so.
Do not attend in-person activities if you or a member of your household has recently tested positive for COVID or are feeling unwell, feverish, or exhibiting a new persistent cough, sinus congestion, sore throat, or any other symptoms consistent with currently circulating COVID variants.
For detailed information on the most current government guidelines and recommendations, please click here.